Sunday, March 22, 2009

"I do, I do!"

Xander is two. That really says it all. Yes, we are in the terrible twos.

His lately thing is independence. He wants to do *everything* himself, whether or not he's actually capable of doing it. And I'm all for him trying to do things. But it always seems like the times when he's insisting on putting his shoes on by himself are the times we're running most late. And don't even get me started on him trying to buckle his carseat straps. The worst thing is the frustration. He gets mad if I try to help him and he gets mad if he can't do it. Poor little guy.

He also loves to do everything his sister does. It's so cute. For example, they were taking a bath the other night. They each have this little plastic wind-up dolphins. Jessica, as usual, was cleaning hers because it had something it needed to do tomorrow and needed to be clean. Xander then tried to grab hold of a piece of soap and wash his dolphin.

Now, holding a piece of wet soap can be tricky for an adult; it's nearly impossible for a 2 year old. He got mad because he kept dropping it and he got mad when I tried to help him. Finally, I came up with a solution: they were also playing with my bath pillow, which has a terrycloth surface. I showed him how to put the soap on the pillow, the rough surface held the soap in place and he rubbed his dolphin up against the soap. Problem solved.

Now I just need to figure out how to teach him to fasten his carseat buckle.

No comments: