Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Skating by on technicalities

Xander has been less than enthusiastic about going to preschool the last couple of weeks. His schedule has been inconsistent, which makes it harder for him. Today even the lure of bringing in birthday cupcakes and seeing his pal Joseph couldn't make him agree to wear his bathing suit. Since he goes to preschool at the Y, one of the perks is swim lessons once a week. He prefers the shark bathing suit but I couldn't find it so I tried to pass off his Thomas bathing suit.

No go.

I decided not to fight it, and that I would pack the bathing suit and let his teacher figure it out. "I won't put your bathing suit on," I told him in all technical honesty.

When I went to pack the Thomas bathing suit I found his shark bathing suit already in the backpack he uses for swim lesson. I had put it there last week before his puke-a-thon kept him home on swim lesson day.

Then Xander said, "And don't pack that bathing suit!" referring to the Thomas bathing suit.

"I won't" I said, in all technical honesty.

Then I shoved his small swim lesson backpack into his bigger backpack so he wouldn't see it when we were walking out to the car.

Today's the last day of school before he's off for the next 12 days. I'll let his teacher bear the brunt of his bad temper. Merry Christmas, Miss Dara!
* * *
update: He ended up not swimming because his teacher for some reason didn't see his swim knapsack and I guess since he wasn't wearing his swimsuit, she figured he wasn't going to swim.

I found this out by asking him if he had gone swimming. "No," he said in a grumpy voice, I guess merely at the idea of swim lessons. "You didn't pack my bathing suit."

"Yes, I did," I told him. "Your teacher didn't see it?"

He very quickly picked up on my small betrayal: "I told you not to pack it!"

I was hoping he wouldn't remember that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Technical honesty, eh?

Grandpa Dan