Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Daddy daycare

Sometimes I wonder where I went wrong as a Mommy. Hari has an infinitely easier time watching the kids than I do. For example, there is far less whining involved when I'm not there, particularly on the boy's part.

Today, I took the van to the dealer to get fixed and Hari watched the kids. I came home and one of the first I noticed is no one running to me saying "Mommy! Mommm--mmmmeeeee."

"Where's Xander?" I asked.

"I dunno."

That actually worried me at first. What could have happened to him that he was so quiet?

Hari got up off the couch and spotted Xander, fast asleep on the stair landing. He'd just wandered over there and fallen asleep.

I'm not sure what bothers me more, the ease with which he fell asleep in Hari's presence or the fact that Hari hadn't even noticed he'd fallen asleep.

At the present time we're just stepping over him if we need to go up or down the stairs.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Oh lordy, that's great. Last month I was out for several hours and when I returned, my husband admitted that he'd lost Miles for a short while that afternoon. DH had been sleeping and thought that Miles was in the basement playing. Turns out he was outside in the sandbox - at least he stayed in the yard! Lovely Daddy daycare.

Kristin said...

I think it's because the dads tune out the kids. As long as they aren't screaming or bleeding, they don't exist.