Thursday, March 11, 2010

Goodbye and Hello

Although I get frustrated with Xander's clinginess, particularly at drop-off time at school or the gym, it's more than made up for by the reaction I get when I pick him up.

When I pick him up from school, he gets up or stops whatever he's doing and runs toward me as fast as his little legs can carry him. I kneel down and prepare for a full-on assault hug.

When I pick him up from the gym daycare, where he's behind a half door, he'll look up, see me, and since he's usually done some coloring, he makes a beeline for the table, grabs his paper, and runs over to half door to be let out.

If only I could remind him of how happy he is when I pick him up when he's sobbing as I drop him off.

* * *
Xander's teacher had a great trick this morning. She saw him clinging to me, and came over.

"Now remember," she said to him. "We have one rule here: NO SMILING."

Of course he burst into a big smile at that.

No comments: