Monday, February 22, 2010

About last night

Xander's new thing is to refer to every event that ever occurred in his life as happening "last night."

For example, last night (*my* last night, not his) I was putting him to bed. Our conversation went something like this:

Xander: Remember last night when Jessie got a smushmellow?

Mommy: No.

Xander: Remember, when Daddy came to get Jessie and we went home and I didn't get one?

Mommy thought long and hard and then remembered what he was talking about. We went to our town's winter carnival on February 5, yes, February 5th. They were toasting marshmellows over a fire pit. I made one for Jessie, then asked Xander if he wanted one. He said no. I had taken the kids there and Hari joined us later. By the time he got there, Xander and I were both very cold and wanted to go home, so we did and Jessica and Daddy stayed.

Mommy: You mean at the winter carnival?

Xander: Yeah.

Mommy: That was weeks ago. You said you didn't want one.

Xander: Let's go get one.

Mommy: It's not there any more.

Xander: (cries loudly and longly).

Anyway, at least 3 or 4 times a day he references something that happened "last night" but actually happened days or weeks ago. I really have no idea why.

No comments: